Thursday, August 25, 2005

How does David Pogue recognize a Bombay accent?

In a NY Times technology column, David Pogue urges readers to remember to backup their computers, and in recounting his own how-I-lost-my-data story, he also reveals that he has an ear for accents:

You know, you can only be lucky for so long.

In the case of my Dell PC, that was about a year and a half. I came to my desk one morning, turned it on, and got this message on the screen: "DISK READ ERROR. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

Dell's technicians, in thick Bombay accents, directed me to perform a number of tweaks, tests and experiments. After several hours, they announced that the hard drive must have died, and everything on it was lost.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ideamani said...

I love it when the customer service reps are in India, cause its the only time they can pronounce my name right !

10:17 AM  
Blogger Olinda said...

And when I try and chat and see where in India they're based, they get very nervous and evasive.

I guess they've had people angry about outsourcing give them grief on past calls.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home